With the purchase of this PDF eBook you will receive our hobby horse pattern “HOLLY” including detailed sewing instructions. After purchase and payment you can download and print out the instructions as a PDF on A4 paper.
Hobby horsing is a sport from Finland with gymnastics elements, in which show jumping and dressage are simulated on a stick horse. But a real finnish hobby horse is anything but a dusty horse on a stick from grandma’s attic! Because the modern hobby horses inspire young and old with their realistic appearance! This is due to the detailed shape, the way its mane blows in the wind, and the different shades which can turn them into small pieces of art.
Our hobby horse can even do a lot more, because the pattern includes not only the classic stick horse variant but also options for modifying it to a hairdressing head, a wall decoration or a horse for buckling up! There are even possibilities to sew a unicorn hobby horse or a donkey.
The mane can be knotted from wool or sewn on from clip extensions (synthetic or real hair). The shading of the head is done with fabric paint and ensures the „real look“ of your horse. To sew HOLLY you should have sewing experience and, depending on the desired details, 2-4 hours time (plus time for cutting).
No embroidery machine?
Important: NO EMBROIDERY MACHINE is required to sew the hobby horse! Eyes and nostrils are sewn on with a sewing machine, the twinkles in the eyes are embroidered by hand or painted with fabric paint. How this works is explained in great detail in the sewing instructions. You can also find video instructions for doing appliqués with a sewing machine on our Youtube channel.
However, if you have an embroidery machine you can alternatively purchase embroidery files for the eyes and nostrils in our shop.
Another TIP: We also have an ebook for matching hobby horse accessories (halter & lead ropes) in the shop! It is also available together with this pattern as a great savings package.
- Sewing time: 2-4 hours
- Difficulty level: intermediate
What’s included with the hobby horse pattern “HOLLY”:
- Illustrated sewing instructions and pattern (A4 PDF file to download and print out yourself)
The sewing pattern hobby horse “HOLLY” is for private use only. However, you can buy a license extension for commercial use here in our shop if you want to use the pattern to sell handmade hobby horses!
✄ Materials & tools
Materials needed to sew the hobby horse pattern:
- Fabric for head side, gussets, bottom and ears, approx. 75x75 cm (30x30”) or 45x130 cm (18x51”)
- For an optional separated mouth: fabric for mouth, upper and lower mouth gusset as well as inner mouth part, approx. 15x50 cm (6x30”)
- Fabric for the blaze, approx. 7x20 cm (3x8”)
- Black felt for eyes and nostrils, approx. 4x12 cm (2x8”)
- White hand embroidery thread for the eye twinkles, approx. 20 cm (8”)
- Double-sided iron-on adhesive webbing (e.g. Bondaweb or Heat’n Bond), approx. 20x8 cm (8x3”)
- Toy filling, approx. 500 g (1.1 lbs)
- For the mane: Ball of wool, hair extensions (at least 20 cm / 8” long) or jersey straps
- Medium weight fusible interfacing to reinforce ears & inner mouth part, 15x45 cm (6x18”), or to stabilize ALL fabric pieces 45x130 cm (18x51”)
Short-pile plush fabrics (sometimes called minky or velboa fabric) are best, but you can also use other fabrics such as fleece, velour, sweat or woven fabric. A long-pile plush fabric or teddy plush is also suitable if you want a particularly fluffy horse.
- Fabric paint for painting eyes & nostrils and for shading the fur
We recommend MUCKI fabric finger paint (Affiliate Link) or the colours from Creall Tex (Affiliate Link). You can do most of the shadings with black and white, possibly pink or red to paint “fur-free” areas on the mouth. Note: According to our tests, the Creall colours last best on polyester plush.
Additionally only for hobby horse variant:
- Stick with a maximum diameter of 3 cm (1 1/5”), the length is a matter of taste
- Wool, cord or rope to wrap around the fabric at the stick opening, approx. 50 cm (20”)
Additionally only for buckle-on horse variant:
- Bag webbing 3 cm (1 1/5”) width, 4 m (13 ft)
- 2x strap buckles for 3 cm (1 1/5”) bag webbing
- 6x square rings for 3 cm (1 1/5”) bag webbing
- 4x strap adjuster for 3 cm (1 1/5”) bag webbing
- 2x dog hooks 3 cm (1 1/5”) for reins (optional)
Additionally only for wall decoration variant:
- Ribbon or cord for hanging, approx. 10 cm (4“)
Additionally only for hairdressing head variant:
- Granules, 1.2 - 1.5 kg (2.5 - 3.5 lbs)
- Fabric for sachets, 20x140 cm (8x55”)
Tools & appliances
- Sewing machine
- Sewing needles and pins
- Washable fabric marker / tailor’s chalk
- Small sponge
- Water tank
- Paint palette or small bowls
For attaching the stick to the hobby horse
- Saw to shorten the broomstick
- Liquid glue or hot glue
- Drill to fix thick rope on the stick